Monday, October 26, 2009

Soup Night

What a concept, I happen to be a big fan of the idea and would love to get everyone in our neighborhood on board. Let me tell you a little bit about it. So Megs and her neighborhood get together one Friday every month. Someone makes the "Soup", and the other families all contribute something else, like a side, a dessert, a beverage, etc. I love the idea of getting everyone together once a month, I just don't know how it would work out, something always seems to come up and the group ends up being a big ol' party of 4 people, instead of the whole crew, but I guess you just roll the dice and hope that the majority can make it once a month. With the Holidays coming up and the other events already on the calendar, such as the 4th Annual Tacky Sweater Party and the Wine and Ornament Exchange, I am guessing we wouldn't be able to kick this off until early 2010.

I also think the Progressive Dinner idea is a great one. The concept of one family hosting the Appetizers, the next doing a soup, the third doing a salad, and so on, doesn't that sound like fun? And I am guessing we would only be able to pull that off a few times a year? And I am not sure I fully understand how it would work if we actually moved houses for each course, but I think having each family provide a different course is a great idea, and we could just rotate houses, similar to soup night, but not quite.

Do you all have any fun traditions in your neighborhood?

3 comments:

The B's said...

Soup night sounds fun! I too was like you and wanted to have something where the neighbors get together for some good ol' family time. So I went for it... and became the social events person per se. Now, I will say it is work- seriously- however we like lists and planning, so totally up your alley (and mine). It has gotten a wee bit busy with all of the kids, but I am still making it work. So, here goes our events: --Bunco (of course) monthly for the ladies-- some type of monthly event for the kids (and I try to include parents... ie, fishing day derby, outdoor movie night, etc)--- our next event is Saturday: fall festival (think hayride, chili cookoff, donut eating contest, some pumpkin contest, etc.) Also, we do the neighborhood night out and socials. I say, be the change that you want! (that's my motto) And as far as the folks that come out- it varies. Sometimes there are lots of folks, some times a handful- just roll with it. Advertising usually helps (emails, signs, and mailbox drops are my ways of advertising). Hope that helps! Happy Souping :)

Megs said...

As for the progressive dinner, my parents used to do it and they said you may miss the course right before your's - the dinner included apps, salad or soup, main course and dessert - and they moved from house to house. I think it sounds like fun. I wish that our soup night picked a theme - the side dishes are always so random and don't usually complement the soup.

oneof4dms said...

hmmm, what do we do in our neighborhood? bird watch, people watch, change the covenants so you can't build a fence...