Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Raising a Biter

I arrive at daycare yesterday afternoon just before 5, look inside the main room only to find Olivia standing in "the corner", which is aka timeout. She looks up, sees me, smiles, runs to me says "I was in the corner" - duh, I got that part already. It was then that Miss Donna says "Your daughter is a biter". The words were like a knife to my heart. I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but I have been so conscious lately about raising a little brat, that those words knocked the wind out of me. I fired back question after question trying to get some more information about what had happened. Turns out she isn't really a biter, in fact this was her first "infraction", but it was still really upsetting to me, I actually cried on the way home. I don't know if you other Mom's feel the same pressure to raise a polite, respectful child, but it scares me to death that my children could grow up to be little devils. And the worst part of the whole situation is that she bit her BFF at daycare, Ava. The sweet, precious, petite little Ava. So last night when we got home, after Miss Donna talked to Olivia about being a good girl and not biting, we made Ava an "I'm Sorry" card and Olivia took it to daycare today.

I can't even begin to tell you how sick it makes me to think that my child would hurt another one, and I know, I know, this all sounds so cheesy, but I really do worry about this stuff, I lose sleep over it.

2 comments:

3guysandagirl said...

I completely know how you feel. Logan's the "good" kid, especially at daycare. I get great reviews. Cameron, oyvey. Second child syndrome at its finest. I'm sure I'll get a call one day that he has done something to someone. I LOVE the Sorry Card idea. I might have to use that one soon!

The B's said...

I absolutely know what you mean! Zack and Mike play rough at home, which translates to - many, many corner visits in preschool.... It was really hard to explain to a 3 or 4 year old that just because we play football (knocking down) doesn't mean we can do it at school. Tyler is not as strong as daddy, etc. Any who- it does take the wind out of your sails, but you did a great thing with the card. I can only imagine what I have in store with 2 more! Keep your chin up, you do an amazing job with the girls!