Monday, November 2, 2009

Prince Charming

In marriages things can get stale, if that is breaking news to any of you married folks I am very jealous, and sorry to rain on your parade, but I speak the truth. Its hard work to remind the folks you share your life with just how important they are to you as often as you should...I am guilty as charged. I don't always do a great job of showing Brad how much he means to me, and while I think about all the neat things I could do to show him, only about 10% of the time does it actually come to life. Life just gets in the way and that is the horrible reality of the situation. With TSC (Two Small Children) our life can get pretty hectic and by 8:30pm when dinner is cleaned up, the girls are in bed and we are ready to sit down on the couch to actually spend time together, the laptops usually come out, the TV is on, and we can go hours without even speaking to each other, not because we are mad, but because we are so in grossed in our own little world that we forget to interact or even touch each other. We need to get better at that. At least one night at week we try and leave our computers in our work bags, and sometimes even try and watch TV upstairs in bed so we don't get caught up in everything going on downstairs, but that usually ends with one of us falling asleep...and if its Brad and the snoring begins my blood starts to boil, so it might end up doing more harm than good. And I would be lying if I said we do it every week, we don't, but we should.

So Friday I was home with the girls, as they are both still fighting the cold battle...and losing. Brad got home, knew my plan was to go Grocery Shopping when he got home, so I snuck out of the house just after he changed out of his suit. I opened the drive side door of the Yukon to find a card, a bottle of my back in the day favorite wine (more on that in a minute) and....a wrapped Finks box. I instantly broke into a huge smile. I opened the box right away, and sure enough, it was the David Yurman Amethyst Albion Petite Split-Shank Ring. Amethyst is Avery's Birthstone and this is her "push present", long story, but the other two push presents were returned. And now onto the wine...so the first time Brad and I actually spent time together, I drove to Raleigh for the weekend, arrived at his apartment when he was still at work, let myself in, no, I didn't break in, he left me a key, and he had shopped for all of my favorite things, strawberries were in the fridge, a stargazer lily was on the counter, Tropicana Twister juice was in the fridge along with a bottle of Luna de Luna Blue White wine. It was my favorite wine, my dear friend Maura introduced me to it, we used to love it and drink it on a weekly basis for our American Idol Dinner Dates...which turned into Apprentice Dinner dates...oh those were the days. Wait, I am getting off track...so back to the wine. He remembered...and while it isn't great wine and we have shared much better wine together (Heck, we went to Sonoma), he did it just because it brought us back to the weekend we fell in love. Sweet, right? I mean, really, just rehashing it is bringing a tear to my eye. He really is a sweet guy, sure his hobbies can get a little annoying, and yes, he forgets things now and then, but he is a great guy, one I am lucky to have in my life. The guy that hung up on me when we were dating because his Mom was calling, I knew he was a keeper from that moment on, you need a guy that loves and respects his Mother. And while I need a reminder every now and then how lucky I am to have him in my life, I need to give him a reminder every now and then so he feels the same way!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

That's so sweet. I'd love to hear the story of what a push present is. My mind instantly thinks it's what he told you he'd get you while you were in labor with Avery and needed motivation to push?

Either way, the presentation is charming and it's wonderful that you both recognize how special you are to each other :)

Lacie said...

That is SO sweet of him! I also think of things to do for Matt and MOST of them don't come to life.

Jeni- I THINK the push gift is, the gift that she will give to her girl when she gets older. Like a ring, necklace with that girls birthstone in it goes to that girl.