Friday, November 6, 2009

Gooey Butter Cake


Move over Paula Deen, I am a force to be reckoned with. I can follow a mean recipe with the best of them, as for creative, experimental talent, I am at a loss, but give me a recipe and I am good to go. After we put the girls down tonight I decided to make this Gooey Butter Cake Recipe I have been drooling over for the last few weeks. I am hoping that its as yummy as its title sounds, but I am still holding my breath because the timer says I have to wait at least 19 more minutes to give it a taste. After licking the spoon on its way to the sink I am worried it was a bit too "sugary' and could have done without some of the powdered sugar, but we shall see.
So this afternoon I went to visit Molly, Brian and Baby Campbell, who BTW is like a little angel, she is absolutely precious. I cherished the minutes I got to snuggle her in my arms, babies that don't move or make a peep are right up my alley, too bad Brad reminded me that they don't stay like that for long.
Ingredients:

Cake:
1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted
Filling:
1 8-ounce package cream cheese softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter melted
1 16-ounce box powdered sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
Prepare Filling
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.

Servings: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Difficulty: Easy
Show: Recipe courtesy Paula Deen and Random House Publishing
You will notice my girl Paula does it up with some serious BUTTER...but you can trim the fat and calories down with the "Light" recipe found herehttp://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view2/bobbys_gooey_butter_cake/
I of course didn't see this "Light" version until I was already done preparing the FAT version...go figure.


No comments: