Monday, January 2, 2012

Menu Monday: Mashed Potatoes - Quick & Easy

So while this one isn't going to win any awards and likely won't have my husband surprising me with jewelry at the thought of me serving it, these quick & easy Mashed Potatoes have added some serious pep in my side-preparing step...and who isn't looking for a quick alternative for a comfort food?


I whipped up a Ham dinner the other night when Brad's Parents were here, and with the other sides I was preparing I thought that Mashed Potatoes might compliment them well but I wasn't interested in peeling or chopping potatoes, so I thought about the Steam & Mash option from OreIda...I've used these in the past but only when I am making a casserole, I hadn't used them for just regular ol' Mashed Potatoes, but after Friday Night, you bet your bottom dollar I am going to keep a bag of these little puppies in my freezer...

You set the bag in the Microwave, set it for 10 minutes, let them steam, then you add 2/3 cup of Milk, we use Fat Free Milk, and then 2 tbsp of butter, I believe Brad added a little more butter, but I also thought about adding some sour cream, or cream cheese, or chives, or heck, even some bacon, the options are endless when the main ingredient only takes 10 minutes to prepare.

Give them a try, or at the very least when you are preparing a casserole give them the nod, it will say you a ton of time and the results are fantastic! I am guessing that most of the menus I share will be a little more labor intensive that this one, but lets be honest, I don't have a surplus of time on my hands, so I can imagine the majority of the recipes or meal ideas I share with you will be quick & easy, without quick or easy, they just aren't likely to happen more than once in this house...

4 comments:

Chantelle @ Mommyx3=Insanity said...

I love your blog! I found it through a pinterist pin for your apple dumplings (cant wait to make em!). I'm your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog mommyx3insanity.blogspot.com

Chantelle @ Mommyx3=Insanity said...

oh and I am SO going to buy these on my next grocery trip!

A Boy, His Girls & A Big Dog said...

Chantelle - so glad you found me :) Can't wait to check out your blog!

Chantelle @ Mommyx3=Insanity said...

Just wanted to stop back by and let you know that I had my husband pick these up on his way home last night...I needed a little something to spice up my chicken marsala and thought I dont want to use pasta...lightbulb..hey lets put it over mashed potatoes l ike I've had in resteraunts! and since I just read that post on that lovely blog I know an easy peesy way to do it!! they were delish so thanks for helping a sista out!!!