Monday, January 9, 2012

Menu Monday: Hungry Girl


I don't have a tried and true recipe to share this week, but I do have a few ideas that I wanted to throw out there to y'all, especially if you are trying to shed a few lbs, or just eat healthier. I am a big fan of Hungry Girl...she is real, she likes real food, she wants comfort food just as I do, but she finds amazing ways to slim down those recipes so that you can enjoy the same types of foods, at a fraction of the calories & fat. I also love that she is on top of the latest and greatest products out there, and is quick to point out new offerings such as Peanut Butter Cherrios,
I am a big fan of finding low fat and low calorie options that satisfy cravings so that I can avoid eating 43 Reese's Peanut Butter cups at 10pm on a Sunday Night...

So I thought I would share with you a recipe that I am planning to make at some point this week. I will review after I make them, but wanted to share with y'all ahead of time just in case you were dying for a new recipe to try (because of course the World Wide Web doesn't have any recipes).

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas (I LOVE Mexican Food and need a lower fat alternative)
Makes 2 Servings (per serving - 252 calories, 3.5g of fat, 20.5g carbs, 2.25g fiber, 33g protein)
Ingredients: 
1/4 cup chopped onion
6oz cooked and shredded boneless and skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp green enchilada sauce, divided
2 large corn tortillas
Optional: fat free sour scream & chopped scallions (sour cream is NEVER optional for me, I could bathe in it)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside
3) Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high head on the stove.  Add onion, and cook until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl
4) Add chicken to the bowl (containing the browned onions), 1/2 cup cheese and 2 tbsp enchilada sauce.  Mix well and set aside. 
5) On a microwave safe plate, heat tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds, or until warm
6) Evenly distribute chicken mixture between tortillas.  Wrap the tortillas tightly and place them in the baking pan with the seam sides down.
7) Pour remaining 1/2 cup enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.  Bake in the oven until hot, about 10 minutes
8) Evenly sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over the enchiladas. Bake in the oven until cheese has melted, about 2 more minutes.
9) Allow to cool slightly.  If you like, top with sour scream and scallions & enjoy!. 

I will have to double this recipe (at least) to feed our family, but seems easy enough.Can't wait to give it a try! Such a tease, especially when Don Pepe Dollar Night is tonight!!! T-O-R-T-U-R-E!!!

No comments: