Friday, January 6, 2012

Before & After: Two Thrift Store Finds

Back in July when my gal pal Kristen was in town we went to lunch at Feathernesters, I always find stuff in there that could just plop into my home and make it a happier place, and sometimes the price is just right and other times I get inspired to go out on my own and attempt to recreate the masterpiece. So I did just that when we came across a old "window" mirror...I couldn't justify the price tag for something I knew I could do on my own (with a little help from Brad, of course, we are a team!!)

Before:

It was $22 at Consignment Connection here in Richmond, out on Lakeside Avenue...

After 1 Coat of Spray Paint, a small piece of molding and some handiwork by the hubs...Ta-Da...


I believe I recreated this for under $25, which feels pretty darn good to me. Of course I probably could have snagged a legit window from Class & Trash for an even better bargain, but I have to start small, I don't have some of the skills necessary to bring things back to life, I like to just give them some life...
Second Up...a lonely ol' doll bed that I found on the very same day I scored the above mirror.  It was originally close to $20, but it was 50% off at another Thrift Store on Lakeside so it came out to just under $10...


My Dad came through in a pinch and got to work on this beauty because I had been neglecting it during the fall months and didn't want the girls to see it around the Holidays since I had decided it would be a good present for Avery, with her passion for baby-dolls of course. Several coats of Spray Paint later this beauty was looking sharp...I added a simple piece of vinyl for her name and there you have it...a new doll bed for her babies. 


The total cost for this beauty was under $20 and should have been even cheaper than that had the wood not soaked up all the spray paint...next step for this one is some bedding. My homeslice Molly (The Harris Happenings) is likely going to have to help me with that part of the project since I don't own a sewing machine...maybe I will go in search of some fabric this weekend, I have a few fabric needs on my mind...including: 

1) Baby Doll Bedding Fabric
2) Leather Ottoman Cube Fabric
3) Roman Shades Fabric for the Morning Room, but this one is still up in the air, because I haven't decided what color I am going to repaint the walls. Maybe I will do a tour of the Morning Room on Tuesday so I can get some advice from ya'll since its in transition phase...

No comments: