Sunday, December 16, 2012

Meet the Engel Family...


What a beautiful family!  I can imagine their smiles aren't so bright tonight.  They are mourning the loss of their beautiful little girl Olivia, age 6, whose bright future was stripped by a mad man on December 14th while she sat in her classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School. 

I've been speechless since the news broke mid-day on Friday. I haven't been able to articulate the emotions that I've been feeling over the last few days.  I go from angry, to devastated, to irrational, to terrified, to thankful, to guilty, to ashamed, to painfully sorry, the emotions are raw and never ending.

I fussed at our Olivia yesterday morning, sent her to her room and then broke into tears.  It feels so wrong to punish the beauties when I know the Engel family would give anything to have their precious Olivia back, yet reading about her and the amazing little girl she was, reminds me that I have work to do as a parent, along with providing endless love and support, I still have to help her along her way to growing into a beautiful, kind and compassionate young woman.

 

Olivia's family shared the following words about her via the Family Facebook Page.
 
Olivia Rose Engel loved school and she always did very well in math and reading. She was insightful for her age and had a great sense of humor. She laughed a lot and always lit up a room including the people around her. She was very creative and was always drawing and designing things. She was a tennis player and took art ...classes. She loved swimming and her ballet and hip-hop dance lessons. Olivia was involved with her Daisy Girl Scouts, enjoyed playing soccer and expressed passion in musical theater. She was a great big sister who was always very patient with her 3 year old brother, Brayden. Her favorite colors were purple and pink. Her favorite stuffed animal was a lamb. She was involved in her parish's CCD program and was learning her Rosary. Olivia always lead Grace at the dinner table each night. She was a grateful child who was always appreciative and never greedy. Her father said she was a 6 year old who had a lot to look forward to.
 
The horrific events of Friday stole the lives of far too many little humans, just starting off, ready to change the world and I can't imagine the pain and loss the town of Newtown is experiencing right now.  When I read the victims list my breath caught at the name Olivia, age 6.  And then I saw another list that gave the victims birth dates, and I yelled out loud...Olivia Engel and our Olivia share a birthday.   And then after reading more about her above, I am struck by how similar they were, many of the same interests, both with 3 year old siblings as well, and it just leaves me with a huge painful weight around my heart.
 
I can't bring their little girl back, I can't make their family whole again,  but I can be the best parent to my beauties.  I can continue to show them love, support, protect them when possible, and raise them to be kind, generous, compassionate souls who when other people read about them, they smile and wish they could give their parents a high-five for a job well done.  My heart is heavy for the families who lost a loved one and my prayers are going up to all of those impacted by this unspeakable event. 
 
If you would like to donate to the family, or follow their FB page, you can do so HERE.


No comments: