Wednesday, November 21, 2012

All things thankful

I loved that we started our "thankfuls" before November 1st this year, but holy smokes, I have really fallen down on the job, I haven't shared our thankfuls with y'all at all...and that is just unacceptable. For the record, we have all our thankfuls documented on notebook paper - I am going to search for the perfect journal and copy them in so we can bring it out every year and fill it up year after year.

Avery generally is thankful for the here and now, if she is eating mashed potatoes, she is thankful for mashed potatoes - if she is playing with her toys, she is thankful for her toys - if she is fighting or fussing at her sister, she is thankful for everything EXCEPT her sister.

Olivia is the thoughtful, bum kissing thankful child.  She is always thankful for "her sweet Mommy" or thankful that she has a Mommy and Daddy to take care of her.  She is thankful for her house and her home, for heat when others don't have any, etc.

Brad is thankful for his right to bare arms, thankful for his right to vote, for bourbon and bikes and on nights he is home, after being gone for a few days, he is generally thankful for his family.

I am a diverse thanker - I am thankful for all dimensions of my life.  I am thankful for parents who are generous and thoughtful, who raised me with values that have served me well.  I am thankful for a husband who loves me when I burst into tears after buying milk, only to realize we already had 7 half gallons at home and likely wouldn't need milk until 2013.  I am thankful for a job that gives me the flexibility to be a working Mom, to flex those adult muscles I need to flex so much, but also flexible enough to skip out a few hours early to lead the Turkey Pokey with 21 other Kinders. I am thankful for those that serve and protect, for those that keep us safe.  I am thankful for my friends and all of our great memories.  I am thankful for my health and the health of those I love and cherish.

Not just on Thanksgiving, or this time of year, but always, we should always be thankful for what we have, steer our focus to all the riches we have in our lives, and forget about those we want for.

No comments: