Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fall Activity = Gymnastics



We want the girls to be involved, and we want them to have fun, lots and lots of fun, but we don't want to plan every single second of their lives to the point that they don't have down time to just play at home with their toys...so for the Fall we landed on Gymnastics through Richmond Olympiad. Tt is actually a class called Kindercise, which is focused on flexibility, coordination and brings in the basics of gymnastics.  We will likely schedule a round of Swimming Lessons as well, but that will be a quick 2 week session, and not something that happens every single week.  Gymnastics is 9:30-10:30 on Saturday Mornings, so it doesn't take us out during the week.  And we are considering Dance for Avery as well, but again, that would be during the school day and wouldn't impact their free-at-home time. 


I've read several parenting books about not over scheduling your children's lives, and I agree, but I am also having a hard time with the idea that my kids could be lazy and just hang around the house all the time, but I need to keep perspective, they are 3 and 5 years old. There is plenty of time to worry, now is not the time.   They are at school all day long, they need and want their downtime.  I was a busy kid. I was involved in a lot, and I got a lot out of it, but they are not me, and they are again, 3 and 5 years old.  I probably spent a lot of time at home at 3 and 5 as well.  I am hoping the girls enjoy athletics, but if not, we will find something else they enjoy and if they want to be in the Band...Brad can handle that, because I played Clarinet for all of 2 days, and I only wanted to play it because I thought carrying an instrument to school made me look cool in 3rd grade.

No comments: