Thursday, May 3, 2012

God Gave Me You


God gave me you for the ups and downs

God gave me you for the days of doubt

And for when I think I lost my way

There are no words here left to say, it's true

God gave me you

One of my wise high school friends told me a few months ago that marriage and parenthood are not intended to be survived without your other half - that on the days I am grading myself in the "failure" zone, he is likely knocking it out of the park. I am seeing that more and more, and I am beyond thankful that I get to spend my days with a man who loves me even when I am at my worst.

On my own I'm only

Half of what I could be

I can't do without you

We are stitched together

And what love has tethered

I pray we never undo

We have had a lot going on, and with our lives moving in a hundred different directions I am thankful that Brad and I still take the time to be "US", whether that means he sits in bed with me while I read before bed, and then when I shut off the lights he goes downstairs and continues doing his thing, but he hangs out with me until I crash.  Sometimes our dates nights involve a few DVR'd TV shows, sharing a bag of popcorn on the couch or drinking a bottle of wine in our bed while we stand guard on the 2nd floor (remember, we have to stand guard so Avery doesn't escape).  And sometimes we have legit date nights that entail us getting out of the house and leaving the girls with a babysitter.  And we try and get away at least once a year just the two of us (or with friends) to decompress and focus on us.


Just the other day I got a call from the security guard in my building at work, I had received a package, I ran downstairs thinking someone had sent me a coffee mug with some random companies name on it and that they were trying to earn my business. Much to my surprise, these beautiful flowers were waiting for me (ignore the "moth" as Brad calls it, he didn't ask them to include it and I can't figure out how to take it out without ruining the whole thing).  The message was simple "I believe in you"....he is a KEEPER!! I am so thankful for him, I don't do a great job of showing it, but I very much am.

















No comments: