Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Report: The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship


My dear friend Susan gave me this book to read light years ago, and I hope she knows that my inability to get through it has nothing to do with how I prioritize the "Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship", it just so happens that I misplaced the book for several months. Sorry Susan!! But I just finished it last night and I really enjoyed it.  It was good for my soul. I laughed and I cried, the usual for me!

This book reminded me of The Girls from Ames, which is one of my favorites, a great story about friendship and the bond between women as they grow up and their lives evolve.


I am fascinated by women and their relationships, I love reading stories about them. I try and figure out which character I am most like, which one I admire the most, and which ones remind me of my friends, it helps me stay engaged in the slow parts.  This book is about 4 close friends, and the days and months that follow after one of them passes away.  Rachel, the one who passes away leaves letters for the other 3 with her final wishes, and you experience her asks along with the other 3 characters (Sarah, Kate and Jo).  I am always the most envious of the grace certain characters show in the face of tragedy or disaster, I wish I had a little more grace in the way I handle my everyday life, but sure as heck hope I have it when faced with tragedy.

If you haven't read either of these books - I highly recommend them both,  TEAR WARNING: I highly doubt that you will get through either without some serious waterworks.

1 comment:

Heather @ From Here to There said...

Wanted to let you know that I gave you a blogger award! You can check it out here! :) http://feather10.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-first-blogger-award.html