Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book Report: Fly Away Home

I am seriously on a roll, this whole reading every single night while Avery is trying to fall asleep (me sitting on her floor, using the light from the hallway to illuminate my book just enough to bang out a few chapters) is really helping me clip through these books I have been dying to finish for over a year.  I have one or two more "already started" books and then I will move on to my very full bookshelf, at this rate I will be needing some new books by Fall, exciting.



Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner is about a Senator's Wife who initially stands by her man after he cheats on her, her relationship with her two grown daughters, and in turn their relationships with each other. I think I was drawn to this book because I love stories like this, I love the TV Show The Good Wife that started out very similar, and I am (white I hate to hear they happen) fascinated with real life stories like this...

I also love to see change happen and see people embrace change. I am always frustrated by the phrase or mindset of "You can't teach an old dog new tricks", and this book really shows three grown women taking the time to reexamine their lives and they all end up in radically different places than they started, and far happier than they ever imagined.  One of my favorite lines from the book goes something like "Sometimes you have to go through something hard to realize you might end up in a better spot after all is said and done" or something to that affect. I am sure I didn't nail it, and I am sure it was more powerful the way it was written, but you get the point.

Next Up is A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve and it just so happens to be a Bargain Book on Amazon.com - it is only $5.98 right now.

No comments: