Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wordy Wednesday: 10 Prayers to Carry You Through...

Courtesy of my peeps at Good Housekeeping, I thought I would share with you a feature I read in the most recent issue...

1 - Give me Simplicity - If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is "thank you", it will be enough. - Meister Eckhart

2 -  Give me Open Eyes - "For each new morning with its light, For rest and shelter of the night, For health and food, For love and friends, For everything Thy goodness sends." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 - Give me a Break! - "God, grant me the power to out of this shower" - Monica Sheeham from Prayers for All Occasions

4 - Give me Warmth  - "For All Warm Things" by Marjorie Holmes from Home Me Up a Little Longer, Lord.  What I took away from this prayer was that not only does a home and fireplace keep you warm, but the warmth of smiles and the warm greetings you can receive and bestow on the ones you care for, and even strangers are all about  the warmth of the Holidays.

5 - Give me Mindfulness - a prayer for living slowly "God help us to live slowly, To move simply, To look softly, To allow emptiness, To let the heart create for us.  Amen" Michael Leunig from When I Talk to You

6 - Give me Joy - a don't take it all so seriously prayer - "Give me a sense of humor, Lord, and also things to laugh about.  Give us the grace to take a joke against ourselves, And to see the funny side of the things we do.  Save us from annoyance, bad temper, resentfulness against our friends.  Hlep us to laugh even in the face of trouble.  Fill our minds with the love of Jesus; for his name's sake" A.G. Bullivant -

7 - Give me Faith - a prayer for control freaks - "If you put your whole trust in God, as you ought, He most certainly will give you sustenance, as He doth the birds' they come out hungry in the morning but return full to their nests. " the prophet Muhammad
*I have to admit, I am a control freak but this one didn't really hit home like I would have liked, perhaps a comparison to anything other than birds and it might have hit the mark, but I loathe birds, I am terrified they will peck my eyes out.

8 - Give me Perseverance - a prayer that's inspired everyone from Mother Teresa to Martina McBride - heck, I read this at a school assembly my junior year in high school.

"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.  Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.  Do good anyway. 
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.  Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.  Do good anyway.
Honest and frankness make you vulnerable.  Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be show down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.  Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.  Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.  Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.  Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.  Give the world the best you have anyway.  - Kent M. Keith, Ed.D. 

9 - Give me Optimism - a prayer for the ability to choose the sunny side of the street - "Whatsoever things are true, Whatsoever things are honest, Whatsoever things are just, Whatsoever things are pure, Whatsoever things are lovely, Whatsoever things are of good report; If there be any virtue, And if there be any praise, Think on these things.  - Philippians 4:8, the Bible, King James Version

10 - Give me the Grace of Silent Night - a prayer for our dearest unspoken dreams and desires "I still think that the prayer without words is the best" - C.S. Lewis

No comments: