Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Birthday Buddy, Lucy...


I was introduced to this sweet, sweet girl Lucy just about a week or so ago...the little darling came down with what her Mom thought was a stomach bug mid-late February, and then a few short days later when she wasn't getting better, and had developed some issues walking her Mom made a Doctor's appointment for her...her appointment was at 1pm and by 3:30pm she was being seen at the LeBonheur Children's Hospital Emergency Room and a day or so after that she was having brain and spinal surgery.  The little darling is fighting cancer with all she has, but she can't seem to catch a break. She is going to be transfered to St. Jude for treatment, but right now she is recovering from meningitis.  You can read her story here.

Lucy and I share a Birthday and while I was enjoying a healthy dinner with my family who I hold near and dear, she was trying to get comfortable in a hospital bed.  Her community has really rallied around her and her family, which I have to say gives me such comfort, and reminds me of my home town, a small place with a big heart.  Lucy's Mom details her days with Lucy at the hospital and blogs about how much she misses her other two children and while I don't know her (her name is Kate), I sit here and think "I wish there was something I could do to help". 

My friends always ask me how I can read these sad, sad blogs. And sometimes I do wonder why I put myself through the emotions when I don't even know these people, and then I am reminded why I read them...it's for perspective. I never want to lose sight of how precious life is, and how thankful I am for each day I get to spend with the ones I love.  It is VERY easy to lose sight of that when you are bathing two small children and they aren't listening worth a lick and you are covered in soapy water, but I read these blogs to remind myself how Lucy's Mom would give anything to be home bathing her children, covered in soapy water, willing to repeat herself a hundred times over just to have her children healthy and happy.  It is all about perspective and blogs like this help me keep it.

So if you have a few minutes today, check out Lucy's story and send up a few prayers...her family is going to need them.

1 comment:

3guysandagirl said...

I am asked the same question by my friends and I couldn't agree more with your reasons for following stories like this.

I hope I'm blessed with good health for my family for years to come. I'm sending prayers to her family. What a tough road.