Thursday, January 7, 2010

I did it, I did it, I did it

I let her cry it out and while it wasn't peaceful, quiet or easy, it kinda worked and the bonus is, her wailing didn't wake up Olivia. Of course I am talking about my darling daughter Avery, you know, the little sweetheart I birthed 10 months ago, the same one that can't seem to get her act together and sleep through the night, the same one that just needs to put a sock in it and shut her peepers...yeah, that's the one.

We have been battling with Avery for months now, she doesn't "need" to eat during the night but its been the only thing that will shut her up and put her back to sleep when she wakes up screaming her little face off. And we are at the point now where we need to start weaning her off of formula and moving her towards cow's milk, we are thinking we might switch the entire family to organic milk to avoid the hormones, but still TBD. When she gets a bottle during the night she is consuming almost 36oz of Formula a day, which is WAY too much. The lil Porker. So we are working to cut out the night-time bottle AND we are cutting her bottles back to 4oz each, which alone will bring her down to 24oz. And of course we are making these changes all at once, the same week she started a new school, no easing our way into these changes, we're going to get er' done. So far so good. She did wake up last night at 10:25pm (which is odd) and I had to go in, I rubbed her tummy and hit "Glowie" (Glow-Worm) about 47 times until she was in the lullaby zone.

She woke again around 1:30am, but I didn't even get out of bed, yes, I sat up, turned on the light, disturbed Riley who was sleeping soundly next to me, and waited for her to stop crying, it was only about 45 minutes...just kidding, it was really only about 10 minutes. HA. But it felt like 45 minutes, it wasn't fun, but I know it is a necessary evil, she just wasn't taking care of business on her own. And then another cry at 3:30am and a small cry at 4:45am, and then up for the day around 6am. I am hoping this is a step in the right direction, that we are making progress and a step closer to eliminating the middle of the night bottle.

Drop off this morning wasn't pretty, Olivia fell apart, and Miss Carolyn wasn't there today to save the day, but Da-Da-Da-Dora came through, and they put Dora on to distract her. I peeked back through the window after I dropped her stuff on and she was sitting on Miss Gina's lap, and the tears had ceased, but she didn't look all that happy. Poor thing! I can't wait to see her tonight. I hope she slept better, a 20 minute nap like yesterday is just not enough for her, I hope naps start to improve.

Guess what...my days of being a single Mom are over for the week - WOOT WOOT! Brad will be home tonight!

2 comments:

The Harris Family said...

Yeah....way to go! Keep up the good work both Mommy & Avery!

Jeni said...

Excellent job! I hope tonight goes even better for you!!!