Monday, January 4, 2010

Even Little Girls Don't Cry...

That's right folks, not a single tear was shed by any of the Turner Girls this morning. And I have to admit that I was likely the one that reached the "almost" mark just as I was kissing Olivia on the head goodbye. But if you pay close attention you will notice I said "this morning", I shed a few tonight as I was tucking her in, telling her how proud I was of her, I know she doesn't know what that means, but I will always tell her that, I think its critical for a child to know how proud their parents are of them.


We took pictures before we left the house this morning and Olivia was wired, dancing all over the place, we didn't get a single stand-still and smile for Mommy shot, but at least she was excited. And of course Avery couldn't sit still. Drop off went well, I took Avery into her room, filled out the daily form on how she ate, slept, etc and put all of her stuff in her crib and cubbies, the girl has like 4 cubbies, their storage is impressive, I am kinda jealous...no kinda about it, I AM jealous. I was giving Avery one last hug telling her "bye bye" and she thought she would be cute and wave "bye bye" to the nice ladies who love on her all day, cute right? Too bad she should have been waving to me. I gave her a smooch and off I went. We checked in on her after dropping Olivia off and she was sitting in the table stealing toys for other kids waiting for someone to feed her...sounds like our little one!

So while I was dropping Avery in the Infant Room Brad walked Olivia down to her room, which his tricky, because they are in the 2A room until about 8:30am so there was a bit of a transition there, which all the kids seem to be used to, I guess its probably easier on them than it is on me, but I was worried about how she would deal with two rooms in such a short period of time, but from what I hear from my other friends its normal to have those transitions because of staff and headcount, etc. So we accompanied her to the 2B room when it was time, sat on the ABC rug with her while they went through the letter, color and shape of the week, she was engaged and answering the questions Miss Carolyn had for her, it was great to see her respond so quickly. The letter of the week is M, so they were talking about what words start with the letter M and Miss Carolyn said "Money, do you all know what Money is?" and Olivia blurted out "Mommy and Daddy have Money" - clever isn't she? HA. I laughed. We ended up saying our goodbyes while they were still reading "The M Book" and besides not wanting to give us a hug and a kiss she did great. I was prepared for a fit and some serious tears, but she was a-okay. What a big girl.
Speaking of her being a big girl. She smashed Avery's head into the hardwoods at my parents house over the weekend, so I told her she needed to be gentle with Avery because she was just a baby, she looked at me with her big browns and said "I'm still a baby too" it about broke my heart. I just looked at her as the tears started to form and said "I know sweetie" and then I just let it go. What do you say to that?
Does this look like enough luggage for a weekend away? Sure does to me, but guess what? That is my daily pile of stuff to lug out to the car. 6 bags in total: My work bag, my purse, my lunch bag, my gym bag, Avery's school bag and Olivia's backpack. Seriously, I need to condense, but how?
I hit the gym around 4pm and was home by 5:30 to pick up the girls. Brad and I went together and Avery was happy to see me but she almost jumped out of my arms to get to Brad, she was bouncing around with excitement when she saw him. I think we have a Daddy's girl on our hands with her. We got her dressed, got her report, which was glowing, they said she was an angel, but wasn't a fan of having her diaper changed. HA. She only slept for an hour total, two 30 minute cat-naps, which is less than half of what she usually does, so we were prepared for a battle tonight, but she was great. We then went to pick Olivia up, she was jumping around singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider and having a great time, she ran over to get her Backpack, stuffed her baby in it and was ready to go, they said she had a fabulous day, fit right in and was very out going, and even slept for an hour. She did manage to spill her cup twice today, which was to be expected since she is still using a Sippie Cup at home, something for us to work on I guess.

We'll see how tomorrow goes, I am prepared for a battle, as all the Mom's who have come before me have said the first day is usually one of the best since its new and exciting, the whole "oh, we are going to do this everyday thing" hits they on day two and they aren't as thrilled. Fingers crossed our girls are the exception to that rule.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I'm so glad to see that they did so great. I'm sure the rest of the week will be fantastic too.

Oh and I too have an arsenal of bags that I tote each morning!

oneof4dms said...

I'm glad that the transition was fairly easy for all!