Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tightening the Belt Straps

That's right folks. The Turner Family is getting ready to kick off the new year on a crazy strict budget. I know I have mentioned many times before that the girls are starting "school" on January 4th and with that comes a hefty increase in the daycare expense category, so we need to be prepared. About 80% of our bills hit on the first of the month, good gracious. I almost threw up yesterday when I did all the calculations and figured out how things are going to work. In fact I might have just a little bit, but just in my mouth.

And by crazy strict I mean we aren't even budgeting for Brad's lunches, so that means he has to pack a lunch every single day and he hasn't done that once since starting this new job. We will see how that shakes out, but based on the financials we can't afford for him to eat out every single day the way he has been since March. So that also means no eating out for us on the weekends, grocery shopping is going to become a math equation and I will be the girl tracking her grocery bill as she drops every item into the cart. (Those ladies crack me up).

So I ask of you, if you live on a budget, please share any tips you might have to help manage, track expenses, etc.

And the second meaning for Tightening the Belt Straps...the diet of 2010 begins on January 4th, I am already psyching myself up, I am looking forward to it but I know its going to be tough. I have about 9 months until I need to be in tip-top shape, how much do you think I can reasonably lose in 9 months? I am thinking 50lbs or so? Too audacious? I figure I will have to work out at least 3 times a week. I am hoping to get to the gym at work at least twice a week, and do a workout DVD or Wii Fit at least once a week. I am hoping that I get a Weight Watchers Cookbook for Christmas because with the new budget I won't be purchasing one on my own, lets hope I can find some good recipes online.

2 comments:

The B's said...

Well, I am certainly not the picture of financial healthy-ness.... however, we did manage to go from 2 incomes down to one this year.... it has been painful, but there are a few things that have been helpful. First... meal planning. I plan meals out for the period I am going to shop for and only buy what I need. I use coupons, store brands, etc. Also, there are tons of great websites that I can get you going on. I did a challenge... that was spend 25 dollars a week for every member of your household (so, for you guys that would be 100 for the week). And I was the crazy lady with the calculator figuring out if I would make it or not. It was hard, but it worked. I am going back to that in Jan as well, as we have slipped a bit in the past couple of months. Also, I use the store sale flyer to buy what is onsale and make my meal plans off of that. In the long run it is cheaper and healthier,so should be a total win for you. But sister, it is work.... doable, but work.

Jones Family said...

Ditto what the Bannister's said...I plan my meals for the week and go to the grocery ONCE. Meals are planned off of what is on sale and what I also have coupons for. I have been "one of those ladies" since coming home from the working world. Another great tip - use cash! We have envelopes for cash to manage groceries, eat out, entertainment, etc. It is very freeing to use cash AND it makes you stick to your budget. It is how we are debt-free except for the house and we are working on that! More on that if you are interested - just ask at Christmas! Yall can do it!