Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Santa at School?

Yup, he sure was. Olivia and I set out to visit TCH yesterday around 10am, it turned out that Brad was able to meet us. It wasn't a great day for us to be there, it was a bit hectic, Olivia's teacher is off on Monday's, and with the low numbers they combined two classes, so we didn't really get to see it in action, it was just all free play while we were there. And then the man in the big red suit decided to show up and take pictures with all the kids, cute, but scared the ba-jeeezes out of Olivia. So we are hoping she doesn't associate Santa with school, because if so, it will likely be a battle to get her in the door.

All in all it was an okay visit. I have decided that daycare is a necessary evil and that I am never going to find a perfect daycare, but at least I am moving the girls to a place that will help them grow and learn whereas their current situation is just filled with play-time. My parents were so fortunate to find "B", the woman who watched me from the time I was 3 months old until I went to 7th Grade. To this day she is one of the most important people in my life, she is like a second Mom, and I was also lucky to gain two older "sisters" in the deal, as "B" has two daughters. My Mom had her oldest daughter Robin in class while she was pregnant with me and commented one day about needing daycare, Robin went home and asked her Mom if she would be interested and the rest is history. Does that happen in big cities like Richmond? Or are those miracles isolated to super small towns where everyone knows everyone? I have so many amazing memories of "B"'s house and I just always grew up thinking that was the norm, I never imagined the heartache I feel over the daycare dilemma. I wasn't prepared for these decisions.

But don't get me wrong, I am not cut out to be a stay-at-home Mom. My favorite part of the day is coming home to the girls and spending every waking second with them and I love the excitement I feel picking them up everyday and I worry I would be counting down the seconds until naptime if I were to stay at home with them. I like that I can cherish each and every second with them. And honestly, I think I am a better Mom when I am working. I can imagine I would get into a routine staying at home, but I love that we are all socialized, the girls with children their own age and me with people that speak about a 2.5 year old level. I need the mental stimulation of the workplace, but I miss my little darlings something fierce. Its a tough balance and has continued to be a huge internal debate. I would love to work part-time and get the best of both worlds, but we all know that doesn't work out for many.

But for the next two weeks I am going to try out this SAHM thing, wish me luck.

No comments: