Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Milestones...oh the Milestones

The first is D-Day, as in the first day at a new school day and my stomach is in knots for the girls. They have no idea what is coming their way, but you better believe I am anxious, nervous and even a little sick over it for them. I know more than ever we are making the right decision, getting them out of their current in-home daycare, I just know it. BUT it still doesn't change that fact that its all Olivia knows, Avery too, but I am more worried about Olivia and less about "Skinny". I am prepared to take a half day on the 4th to give me the time I need at TCH with the girls, and to prepare myself for a good cry on the way to work. Another milestone is approaching and the girls are growing up...I know, I know, Skinny is only 10 months old, but seriously folks, where does the time go?

I have a feeling Olivia is going to be moving to a big-girl bed in the near future, likely in the next few weeks. Sure she could stay in her crib, for all we know until she no longer fit in it, but after a night and a nap in her little/big-girl travel bed, and a nap with Mommy in Mommy and Daddy's bed on the 23rd, I think she is ready to at least give her big-girl bed a try, which of course that means, I need to find her some new bedding...do we just move her right to the full size bed, or give her Toddler bed a whirl? Thoughts? Most people have said, go straight to the full-size bed and avoid another transition.

I bought some bedding for Olivia a few months back, but after spending a few months looking at it, and yes, I still love it, I am thinking it will actually go better in Avery's room, and with Avery's unique wall color, I feel as though finding bedding I love for her room is almost like finding a needle in a hay stack, and that finding the right bedding for Olivia's room might be easier, so why not just keep the already purchased bedding for Avery's room, you ask? Well, here is the debate. IF we have another baby....in a few years, the girls will likely end up sharing a room and I will want to have their bedding coordinate. The good news is, the already purchased bedding was very affordable...so if I could find an affordable option for Olivia for the next few years it might not be a waste. Okay, glad I got that out. That was more for my benefit, not really to update you all on the scary debates that happen in my head.

And as for Potty Training...Olivia got a personalized Potty book from Zack and his family, so we are hoping if we can read that each and every night before bed, we might make some progress, but I am not holding my breath, nor am I all that stressed about it. Sometimes I think about it and other days I don't give it a second thought, but when I do think about it, it isn't for more than a second, sure I would love to save some money on diapers, BUT I want her to be ready and I want to set us up for a successful transition not a huge battle. I meant to ask our Ped about it the other day when I was there with Avery, but we didn't get a chance to see Dr. S, so it will have to wait until Avery's 12 Month Appointment, but for now, Olivia wants nothing, and I mean nothing with a capital N, to do with the potty or sitting on it. She does however tell us when she "poops", a sign maybe? Who knows!

And as for Avery and her upcoming milestones. I was sure she would be walking by the New Year, but that was based on how quickly she learned to crawl and pull up. She is easily standing on her own, but has no desire to walk, she is a master crawler and can cruise where she needs to get with ease, so much so she doesn't have a need to walk just yet. So there you have it, she is still a crawler. I am hoping she is on her two feet for her Birthday, because her dress is just too darn cute and will only look right if she is able to stand in it. Her two front teeth are in...she got them for Christmas. And she is a pro at drinking from a Sippy Cup, but LOVES her bottles. So we are going to start weaning her bottles away early February so that we only have a night-night bottle before bed, but are fully transitioned to a sippy cup during the day. And we will say bye-bye to formula by her birthday, we have two cans left and will likely have to buy 2 more two-packs, but we are looking forward to the switch over to milk. And ya know what, we are going to be bad parents, and we are going to switch her carseat around ON her Birthday, but not a second before. Now-a-days the experts recommend keeping the little ones rear-facing until they are two years old, and while I am generally the first person on the safety band wagon, this is one I have yet to buy a ticket for. I am going to let that little darling turn around and let her peepers catch a glimpse of that Spanish speaking little minx, Dora, that Olivia has fallen in love with, on the DVD player.

No comments: