Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bronchiolitis...1....Norovirus....1.....Olivia....0

What a week!! Jeesh. Poor Olivia fell ill again on Saturday, but it was thought it was just another cold, she had just finished her meds for Bronchitis on Monday the 5th. Tuesday morning she woke up at 5:45am, pointed to her ear and told me "Ears Mommie". So that coupled with a low fever (that had been around for a few days) I called the Doc and took her in. Yup, Ear Infection...just starting though...a round of Antibiotics and she will be as good as new.

NOT so much.

She woke up from her nap on Tuesday with a fever of 104.2...Motrin and another temp check 2 hours later and it was up to 104.9...on the advice of our Doc off to the ER we went. Not a great experience, slow and the triage nurse basically stripped me of my Mother of the Year award. Here is how the conversation went...

"What brings you in?" - Nurse I hate

"Fever of 105" - Leigh

"That's it?" - Nurse I hate

Then we went into the details of the day, how she just started on meds, etc.

"You know the meds will take 36 hours to kick in?" - Nurse I hate

"Yes, but she has never had a fever of 105 with an ear infection and our Doc told us to bring her in" - Leigh

Then she proceeded to tell me that Olivia should be taking Children's Motrin NOT Infant's and that I just wasn't giving her enough and that is why her fever is so high. I seriously wanted to knock this lady's block off. Not to jump ahead in the story here, but that ER Doc and NP told me to stick with Infants Meds as long as possible, the strength isn't different, just the volume they have to consume, infants is concentrated so its easier to dispense, they still give infants to children as old as 11 in some cases.

A chest X-Ray, lots of Motrin, and a Popsicle later she was diagnosed with Bronchiolitis and we were on our way home....just after midnight.
(http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/bronchiolitis.html)

So back on the Nebulizer, continue with the Meds for the ear infection and she should be as good as new in 7-12 days...

Wednesday - Olivia has trouble breathing...to be expected, breathing treatments do help. She throws up twice, and doesn't eat all day. Doesn't sleep well....poor thing.

Thursday - No eating or drinking....back to the Doctor, appears to be getting worse. Doctor says she is NOT getting worse, but the illness is just peaking, so she is on the way down now. She takes a great nap and sleeps better.

Friday - Wakes up wanting to eat, I was so happy I had tears in my eyes. She eats two pancakes and drinks some water...plays for a while, watches Nursery Rhymes for hours, doesn't eat lunch, and takes a nice long nap. Wakes up, eats almost an entire canister of Gerber Veggie Crunchies. Goes to bed, is restless, but sleeps great and until 8am.

Saturday - Wakes up at 8am...fussy...first day without a fever...wahoo. Eats 2 Kix and a Banana for breakfast, devours Pasta Pick Ups for lunch...goes down for a nap...shortly after being put down, starts fussing. I go to check on her, just in time to catch her throwing up her lunch...poor thing. She starts saying "uh oh" and "its yucky". She gets up, no nap. Plays for a little while, crawls into my lap, watches some TV (dee-dee) and pukes all over me a few times. Bath Time...lays around, head in my lap for over an hour....takes a sip of Gatorade and Water...pukes again...I call the Doctor...

Doctor says NOROVIRUS..he saw 50 patients today, 30 of which were puking their little brains out and he too is sick. She likely got it at when she was at the office on Thursday getting re-checked for Bronchiolitis.

The poor thing has had a rough go of it, her body has taken a beating the last month or so...first Bronchitis over the Holidays, then an Ear Infection, then Bronchiolitis and now Norovirus. Good Lord. So needless to say we all had to miss Anna Tillar's 2nd Birthday Party, we hear that April did a fabulous job with the Clifford the Dog Theme...I can't wait to see pictures. And my Baby Shower has been cancelled for tomorrow as well since I have been exposed, I don't want to get anyone else sick...can you imagine me puking my brains out 9 months pregnant, lets hope it doesn't come to that.

A quick update of all other weekly events:
  • Megs arrived late last night, so great to see her.
  • I will likely be changing "roles" at work in the near future, and will transition full time to this new role when I get back from Maternity Leave in June
  • No major update from my OB Appointment - everything is moving along well, strong heartbeat, measuring right on schedule, no concerns. If all goes along as planned she will induce me on the 24th if I don't have her before then.
  • Our friends Lindsay and Karl Tuhey found out they are having a little boy...she is due in June.
  • We had a Neighborhood Girls Shower for Samantha on Thursday Night, she is due with sweet Maya on Feb 6th
  • We celebrated YaYa's Birthday last night with Chinese Take Out so we could keep Olivia in the house. Aunt Sue drove up from NC to surprise her...
  • Brad had another Doctor's Appointment with a Hematologist, more blood work and still no diagnosis on the Hemoglobin issues...another appointment and more tests scheduled for Tuesday

Recommendations:

TV - Madly in love with 24, love me some Jack Bauer, oh how I have missed him. And AMEN, Friday Night Lights is back...Tim Riggins is a dreamboat.

Movie - We are getting ready to watch The Women and 21, I will report back

Books - Just started The Kite Runner...not far enough along to report

No comments: